Sunday, May 22, 2005

Relay reflection

Here it is Sunday - back to the grind tomorrow :-(

I participated in the Relay for Life walk yesterday and walked a few hours. It was my first time (I have wanted to do it for years) and I must say that I am so glad I did it. The only thing I'll probably change next year is being on my own team rather than my disorganized work team. There were no set hours and I don't know if we had someone on the track at all hours like you should. Or maybe I could just impose more organization on the existing team members.

I was talking to one of the team members (one that doesn't want to shut up - God bless him) and his son is a Cancer Survivor. He was telling me that when his son meets another Survivor they bond instantly. He also told me about another Survivor that he knows that keeps the medal she gets every year at the Relay (as a Survivor) because they mean so much to her. She loves the Relay and getting the medal each year means the world to her. He told me that his son does the same exact thing - he puts them on his bedroom door and they clank every time you open/close it. It's a reminder for them of what they went through and I'm sure a reminder of much more that I could never know.

He also filled me in on the former Chairwoman's background. She is a Cancer Survivor as well (from 20 years ago when we didn't even have what we have today). When she started doing the Relay (- she brought the NECT chapter up to the top in the US) she would walk the entire 24 hours herself save for maybe 2 hours to go home to shower and change. She took it very seriously. Her motivation and drive built the NECT chapter - because it was what she felt she HAD to do. This was her first year after she stepped down and she made a speech saying that she felt "like a fish out of water".

It just goes to show how much us "average Jane's" take life for granted. These Cancer Survivors are greatful for every year that they get to live. And, here I am upset that tomorrow is coming because it's Monday.

How can we live life greatful each day? What can we learn from these Survivor's?

I also learned that the police officer that runs with us every day at the gym is apparently a Cancer Survivor! I had no idea. It makes sense - he told me that running is "new to him". How incredible. He was walking with the "Newfs for Life" team. It's a team that walks with their Newfoundland dogs. Some even pull carts with memorials in them. It's terrific to watch. They had to go through tons of red tape to get approved by the ACS to walk w/the dogs. Now they are a favorite there. Those dogs are beautiful. They look like bears - I wanted to hug every single one of them. Thinking back I'm pretty sure they are the team that held the "Dog Wash" a while back that we brought Lucy to. The team owned Newfs and there were quite a few there. They were all in love with Lucy because she was soooo small to them. It was quite humerous.

And, when I was walking it was like some force driving me - I couldn't stop - I kept saying - "one more lap" and then kept walking and walking and walking until my legs and ankle were ready to give. Then I rested and did it again. Today, I'm paying for it - my back hurts and my ankle is swolen. I take my back for granted and I shouldn't.

I guess I wont be doing back tomorrow at the gym! I'm doing only weights this week. I'm trying it for a few weeks to see what happens. I'm in such a plateau it's making me crazy - I need to shock my system. The fat burning cardio idea didn't work - I may however mix that in with the weight training. I had been too involved in the cardio - and was slacking on the weights (against my better judgement) so now I have to refocus. Since I love weight training I'm pretty psyched!

Well, enough for now. I have to put together a revamped workout for my client and a new one entirely for a client/friend at work that has Rheumatoid Arthritus.

Mr.PTtobegirl and I planted some Hostas for my mom today (2 in front of her stone to the sides so I can plant her flowers later in the middle). It's going to look nice. I still can't believe she's gone. Someone left her flowers - I wish I knew who.

Take care everyone and be thankful for your health, happiness, strength, love (for and from others) and the ability to enjoy another day.

'The

What is your weird quotient? Click to find out!