Saturday, April 09, 2005

My answer to littletail and a little background

This for my pal littletail. Sorry, I didn't see your comment until just now.

Yes, I am an AFAA Certified Personal Trainer. After my battle with fitness - not knowing what to do, where to start or where to go for help I stumbled on the Body For Life program and got hooked on fitness.

I soon started reading everything I could, joined BFL messageboards and was soon helping keep my husband motivated with new exercises and new routines. I decided that I needed to help people that fall into that same category I was once in.

When I was in the midst of contemplating registering for a PT workshop and which certification program to enroll in I joined a gym (I had been working out at home) and was given 3 free sessions with a PT as part of my membership. I used one session and the trainer although nice didn't seem to be too concerned with what my goal was and although she was muscular and fit in her upper body, her lower body consisted of very large hips and thighs which struck me as odd.

As I explained to her that I gained yada, yada pounds when I quit smoking and that I wanted to reduce the fat on my hips and legs she commented that she's a big girl and she'll always have large hips and thighs. I thought - "What the hell is she talking about?!" That to me meant that she gave up on herself! How am I going to gain motivation from her if she gives up on herself?

As time went on (that was the only meeting with her) and I became more involved and almost religious about my exercise I soon omitted the words "I can't" from my vocabulary. I can do anything - or at least I can try. If I fail - who cares - I tried and I gave it my all and some day I will try it again and I will succeed.

My friend Jaime told me the other morning at the gym that she smoked a cigarette the night before so I said "Ok, then you'll run at 6.0mph for 10 minutes." She said "I can't". I said "Can't is not to be in your vocabulary. You can and you will."

She did. And, she was proud and so was I. We must never underestimate ourselves.

I used to underestimate myself so much but - not anymore. I am a force, nothing can stop me - but me and I want to help others find that force in themselves.