Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Love me HIIT

I'm resorting back to some old fashioned BFL HIIT cardio & I love it! In Love

Why you ask? Because when I first started BFL there was no way in hell I could have done HIIT running on the treadmill Treadmill & now - I love it! It's so awesome to feel the progress made - so often we don't see it (just others do) so to actually feel it is incredible.

I'm going to treat it just like weights & increase my levels every 2 weeks or so to keep a constant challenge going. Obviously I'll switch to the elliptical &/or bike to keep things even more challenging & changing.

I made my workout buddy do it with me today & after pouting & complaining she was dripping in sweat (& of course complaining about it) but I know she felt good afterwards. I need to face facts - she's never going to like working out Perturbed . It sucks - I wish I could workout with someone that loves it as much as me (cardio & weights).

Ok, hold it - I know - love might be a strong word - who really loves cardio? Pretty much no-one - but we all get hooked on the competition with ourselves & that sense of accomplishment we get every time we do it. Walking away from the gym feeling like I can do anything - I love that. I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks (or would I?? No, I wouldn't. Ok, maybe - but just to buy my own gym - is that better?)

Did side lunges yesterday & just after noon today my (inner) calves started hurting & I couldn't for the life of me figure out why until I stopped, thought a minute, stood up & did a side lunge. Then I was like - OHHHH - neat. I was so hooked on doing regular lunges that I had never done side lunges (with weights) so the pain was completely baffling to me. Pretty cool. I love waking up new muscles.

The only problem is that when I have DOMS (which is well - lets be honest - like pretty darned often - I workout 3-4 days per week weights & 3-4 cardio) I stretch the muscle group. This being the inner calf muscle - is not so easy to stretch - even with my foot turned out it doesn't get a complete stretch. No prob though they'll recover just splendidly I'm sure.